EMPLOYEES AT BENDIGO POTTERY 1895
The famous Bendigo Pottery was established by George Duncan Guthrie in 1858, taking advantage of the fine clays to be found in the Epsom area. He sold the pottery in 1883 but had to return a few years later on a rescue mission.
The 1890s were depression years and the company was reduced to employing only 78 staff as listed on the 1895 pay sheet below. In 1898 the company was liquidated, but was resurrected again and has suffered swinging fortunes ever since.
Today it is still working pottery open to tourists, with the famous beehive kilns being the most prominent feature.
A book worth reading is “Bendigo Pottery” by Paul A Scholes 1979
Unfortunately the photo of the employees is not dated.